Monday, August 5, 2013

Made it Monday - Share chair, whisper bell, and read the room pointers

I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Frolics for another Made it Monday!

4th Grade Frolics


Project #1: Share Chair

I have been seeing various forms of a share chair all over pinterest and was looking for a chair that would work.



I found this child's size rocking chair at a local thrift store for $15. It was perfect! I sanded and painted it black. Then I added the polka dots with pink, green, and white paint and q-tips. This took forever! I kept having to change out the q-tips because they didn't hold their shape for more than 20ish polka dots. What an ordeal!







Then I printed the title and poem on the computer. I attached them with mod podge and sprayed them with hairspray as a sealer. I am hoping it will prevent the ink from running when I go to spray the top coat.... we'll see!



Project #2: Whisper bell
I started using a whisper bell last year after I saw it on Teacher Tipster. If you have never seen any of the teacher tipster videos, I highly recommend them! I have gotten tons of great ideas from him.

Anyway, the idea of a whisper bell is that you ring it when the noise level gets above a whisper (I use it during literacy centers) and the students must all respond with a whisper of "whisper bell." I like that they have to acknowledge the bell. If the noise level continues above a whisper we lose one minute of recess for each subsequent ring of the bell. I think we only ever lost maybe 5 or six minutes in all of last year! After the first warning, I can hear some of them whispering to their louder classmates- "shhh! remember whisper bell!"



I took a plain old bell and added some rhinestones I found in my desk drawer. That's it! Just added some sparkle!



Project #3: Pointers
I have been doing this for the last couple of years and the kids really enjoy using them. I take pre-painted wooden shapes from the craft store and hot glue them onto a dowel rod that I paint. I have a bunch of different ones and the kids LOVE to go pick their pointer for our morning message/reading big books/etc.



I've had these particular shapes sitting around for ages and finally got around to painting the dowels to match!



I will be going into my classroom for some serious organization today, wish me luck!

Victoria

14 comments:

  1. I love your Share Chair! I'm so jealous. Too cuuute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Sharing Chair. I made a Rock Star chair last year that I painted. It felt like it took me forever because I'm such a perfectionist. I use a bell in my room sometimes. 1 ding is stop 2 dings is look 3 dings is listen. Works pretty well! Thanks for sharing.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all! I use the whisper bell during centers. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute share chair! I love it when we can re-craft something.

    The whisper bell idea is genius! Definitely stealing that idea. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was worth all the qtips! Too cute! I need new pointers! Going to use your idea!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sharing chair rocks. I've been wanting to update my plain wooden chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the chair! And I love your whisper bell!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Heidi
    Secondgradealicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chair looks awesome! Well worth the work. And I love the bell idea-very cute bedazzled all up.

    Keri
    Enchanted Kinder Garden

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that whisper bell. I actually have my grandmother's bell she used when she was a teacher - real silver. I need to get it shined up and put it to use!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the chair and whisper bell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That chair is lovely!

    I have a similar bell, but I like the concept of 'whisper bell'

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the whisper bell! Such a great idea!

    -Dani
    A Place to Thrive

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute chair! I love the whisper bell idea, I may have to grab my bell from school and fancy it up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete