Monday, August 12, 2013

Made it Monday - August 12

Well, today is the day... the first day of school for teachers! Although I was in my room all weekend, I am feeling very behind in my room preparations, so I will definitely be staying late this week. Our Meet the Teacher night is Friday and I want everything to be 100% done before then...

I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Frolics for another Made it Monday and I am especially proud of my projects this week!



Project #1: Polka Dot Lamp



I found a plain black lamp base and shade at Target and decided that they would be perfect for my desk. I hot glued the beaded trim around the bottom of the shade and then put the polka dot ribbon over the top. Then I cut out circles from some extra scrapbook paper. I used a hole punch for the small ones, but had to cut the larger ones by hand as I didn't have a punch. It took a while, but I really like the results!


Project #2: Classroom Helpers Chart

I have been wanting to re-do my job chart for ages but haven't been able to decide on what I wanted. Then I saw this pin. Amazing! I tweaked it a little based on the materials I had, but I think it came out really nice!


 I started by gluing cork tiles to poster board so that it was all one piece. Then I covered them with black felt and a sheer black glittery fabric. I hot glued the ribbon and my self-made paper pockets (which I am very pleased with!), as well as my job labels.


As for the number sticks, I painted some short popsicle sticks black and glued on some wood circles that I had glittered with mod podge.


My last step was to add the little white clothespins that I came across in Joann's the other day. It looked a little plain (well, I thought so anyway...) so I added the rhinestones to the clothespins.


Project #3: Tissue Box


I am really focused on getting everything to match this year, so I had this idea... what if the tissue box was polka dotted too?!



I found a plain wooden tissue box case and painted it black. I added my white circle labels for the polka dots and gave it a spray with an acrylic top coat. The bottom slides open and the plain tissue box fits inside. I realize that not all tissue boxes are this shape, but I am not going to think about that just yet. I am too happy with my pretty polka dot tissue box. :)

Victoria


3 comments:

  1. Hi! Oh my goodness! I thought we were the only ones who had Back to School Night (Meet the Teacher)this Friday NIGHT! I don't know about you, but I am going to be realllllly tired that night!

    I love your Job Chart! It is just adorable...the colors are perfect!

    I found your blog on the Monday Made It Linky and I am your newest follower!!

    Beth :)
    A Kindergarten Life For Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your projects are awesome! I used polka dots too, but yellow and lime green with the black and white. Hope you will stop by to check it out.

    Have a great school year!
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your lamp and tissue box holder. What great ideas! Thank you for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete