Friday, June 17, 2016

Five for Friday: June 17

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.



Beach days, shopping, tutoring, and more! This has been a really great week to really start summer vacation.

This is my first full week of summer vacation! YAY!


I spent some quality reading time at the beach this week. I am not usually a beach person; I really dislike the feeling of sand and I am not a huge fan of being out in the sun, but I am trying to get out a bit more.


It turned out to be a good beach day (for me), as it wasn't too sunny. I was able to get through the first few chapters of the Morning Meeting Book. Our school is moving towards a responsive classroom system for next year, so I figured I would get a head start on the reading this summer. Still not too sure how I feel about getting rid of my color chart for behavior management, but I guess we'll see how it goes...

I love going to Michael's. I love seeing all of the new stuff and getting inspired by all of the awesome crafting supplies. I worked there for 10 years, so I love going in to see the people who still work there that I have known since high school and college.

This week, I came across this:


If you are on Instagram, you have probably seen these Heidi Swapp lightboxes all over the place. They seem to be the big teacher trend this summer! I tried to resist, but at 40% off with an extra 15% off for the teacher discount... I gave in!


I am so excited about this purchase! I even talked my pod-mate into getting one! She came up with the brilliant idea of having Dot (our classroom elf) use it when she comes to visit us in December. I can see Dot having a lot of fun with it. :)

This purchase actually inspired me to work on an unplanned Monday Made it for next week. Stay tuned to see how I organize the lightbox inserts!


This is the first summer that I have offered tutoring services. I just started with a child who will be going into first grade next year. She knows all of her letters and sounds, but is having a hard time with blending.

(I wasn't going to spend our time taking pictures, so you will need to pretend that they are at a picnic table by the pool and not from my classroom.) :)

After assessing her strengths and areas where she needs extra help, we started with some word-building activities.

I had her pick a puzzle that she wanted to build, then we said the letter sounds as we added the letters, and blended the word when we finished.


She needed a lot of short activities to help keep her focused, so we also tried blending with these linking cards.


I am working on getting some new activities ready for when we work together again next week. I am thinking we are going to add some sight word practice in as well.


I am really pleased with what I have accomplished since school let out last week. A few months ago, I started writing differentiated nonfiction units about animals to use with my kiddos who needed enrichment in reading.

(naturally I had to start with flamingos!)

They had a lot of fun this year picking the animals they wanted to learn about.


Then I was thinking that I want them to have the opportunity to work on topics other than animals, so I started to write some units about seasonal topics.


I was able to finish the fall bundle this week. It includes the topics: apples, pumpkins, corn, sunflowers, and bats.



Now that I finished the fall bundle, I am ready to jump into winter! :)

This has been a very busy week for Maggie too!


One of the perks of being a teacher's cat is an unlimited supply of laminating scraps! This silly cat LOVES to play with laminating scraps while I am cutting things out.

Unfortunately for me, that was not the end of Maggie's adventures. I may sound like a proud kitty mama here, but my Maggie is very clever! Normally, this is not a problem. However, this week she really upped her game.

She has always been able to get into the bathroom and kitchen cupboards. If I can't find her under the covers on the bed, in her house, or on the sofa, I know that she is in a cupboard. The one cupboard that was always safe was the one in my dresser where I keep my sweaters. I can't say that anymore!



Maggie now knows how to open the sweater cupboard! It's official: nowhere in my apartment is safe from the beast!


Well, that's it for this Five for Friday. Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. I was trying to resist, but I'm totally getting a lightbox now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to resist too, but I am so glad I didn't!

      Delete
  2. I just added a light box to my Amazon cart...so freakin' cute!!!

    Katie
    Teaching Voracious Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dumped my color/clip chart last year for good. I used classdojo this year and felt it was pretty successful. I liked that I could open the app on my phone/tablet and give/take points that way. I also loved that parents could link in and see how their kids are doing.

    Primary on the Prowl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Class Dojo in addition to my color chart for a few years. We've been told that we can use Class Dojo, but only if we don't ever display it, so I'm not entirely sure how that is going to work. :(

      Delete
  4. I got rid of the color chart 2 years ago, and I would never go back. It is easier for me, and if parents want more updates on their childs behavior I will either use class dojo, a behavior sheet, or just let them know that I will email them periodically to keep them in the loop. It is usually only 1 parent who wants updates often, and it's always been the one I have to contact frequently. Oh, and my kitties do the same thing, too! :)

    ReplyDelete