Monday, July 7, 2014

Made it Monday- July 7

I'm linking up with 4th grade frolics for another Made it Monday!




 
 
My first project this week is not classroom-related, but was a lot of fun to do! I went to a 4th of July potluck party last week and brought a centerpiece for the buffet table.
 
 
I used parts of six different silk floral bushes, some star picks, ribbon, rhinestones (for the fireworks, naturally), white paint and a clay pot.
 
It's not as fancy as some of the stuff I used to make when I was a floral designer, but a couple of people at the party checked to see if it needed water, which I think is pretty good for a silk arrangement!
 
 
 

 
 
Next up, I have something that I have been wanting to make for a long time, but never got around to doing: a welcome banner for my classroom!
 
 
 
I just happened to find the felt circles for less than 30 cents each and the letters for a bit less, so I thought I would go for it!
 
 
 
 
I hot glued the letter and some tiny white pom-poms for polka dots, then added the ribbon through the slits. I glued the ribbon to the back of the pink pom-pom garland I found. I had planned on tying the ribbon into bows, but I thought it looked a bit messy.
 
 
 
 
Here is the finished product! I just have to figure out an area wide enough to hang it for open house...
 
 
 
Last year I was going to have fish as a classroom pet, but that didn't work out so well over the summer, so I changed my mind.
 
I have had my own fish at home for a while now and have kept them alive and well for several months (unless you count the current bout of ich, which I am pretty sure came from the couple of guppies I got at the pet store last week...)
 
Anyway, I am bound and determined to have fish in the classroom this year! As such, I wanted something to add to my classroom aquarium that would match my d├ęcor and give the fish a place to hide if my kiddos got too close.
 
Unfortunately, a pink and green aquarium cave is impossible to come by, so I resorted to making my own!
 
I started with some silicone sealant that is aquarium-safe and some extra pink and green gravel.
 
 
 
 
I placed the bottom row of rocks, then started gluing! I will note here that it is important to read all safety directions on the tube... trying to get this off of your hands is not a terribly pleasant experience.
 
 
 
Anyway, I kept adding until I had the height I wanted, let it dry for a while, then added the front piece. I left the top open so that the fish have two ways in or out.
 
 
 
Ta-da! Pink and green aquarium cave! I can't wait to get the aquarium up and running so that my fishy friends can test it out!
 
 
 
Victoria
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. How clever you are with your fishy rocks! Thanks for sharing,
    Cara
    www.carascreativeplayground.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink and green! It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete